FREE School Tour ProgramSupported in part by grants from Idaho Commission on the Arts, US Bank Foundation, and the Gladys E. Langroise Fund in the Idaho Community Foundation.
BAM offers four school tours this year, featuring changing exhibitions and the Museum’s Permanent Collection. Students explore the artwork in the gallery and end their tours with hands-on art experiences in the Albertson’s Education Center Studios. Each tour and studio project is adapted to the appropriate age levels. Tours for pre-kindergarten through 1st grade last 60 minutes. Tours for 2nd grade through high school last 90 minutes.
- Tour Times:
Guided tours are offered Tuesday through Friday at 9:30 a.m., 10:30 a.m., 11:30 a.m., and 12:30 p.m. from September 26, 2016 through May 26, 2017. Tours last 60 to 90 minutes depending on the ages of the students.
- Group Size:
There is a 15-student minimum and 30-student maximum for all guided tours. Up to four adult chaperons, including the teacher, are included for free. Additional adults pay regular admission and are not considered part of the touring group. One adult per 15 students is required.
This program is offered free to school groups. Thanks to the generous grant support of the Idaho Commission on the Arts, U.S. Bank Foundation, and the Gladys E. Langroise Fund in the Idaho Community Foundation. Students who participate in a guided visit to BAM will receive a Free Return Pass to visit the Museum.
- Content and Imagery:
As a museum, we often exhibit artwork with challenging content and explicit imagery, which you may feel is inappropriate for young visitors. However, tours are designed to include appropriate content for students and are adapted for each grade level. If you have questions about an exhibition, we suggest that you preview the artwork with the free Teacher Preview Pass included in your Pre-Visit Art Pack before your scheduled visit to BAM.
- Self-guided Visits:
Teachers can make special arrangements with the Education Department to visit BAM for a self-guided visit. Self-guided tours are limited to a maximum of 30 students per hour and typically scheduled between 2 p.m. and 5 p.m., depending on space availability. Self-guided groups must be scheduled at least two weeks in advance to be eligible for a free visit. Up to 4 adult chaperons are admitted for free with a self-guided group. Additional adults pay regular admission. One adult chaperon per 10 students is required. Chaperons must stay with students at all times.
- College Groups
College groups must be scheduled at least two weeks in advance. A partnership with Boise State University provides for free individual admission for BSU students, faculty, and staff from August 22, 2016 to August 22, 2017 with their valid BSU identification cards.
HOW TO SCHEDULE A FREE SCHOOL VISIT
- READ CAREFULLY AND SELECT A PROGRAM: Please read BAM’s School Program descriptions carefully and choose one or more options that are suitable for your curriculum and class needs.*
- CALL TO SCHEDULE: Reservations are necessary. Although the Museum’s School Programs are free of charge, they must be scheduled in advance. Two weeks’ notice is required; however, we suggest you schedule early, as Spring dates often fill in the Fall.Beginning August 18, 2014, teachers can contact BAM at 345-8330 ext. 36 to make a reservation for their class only. Teachers, parents, and volunteers may not make reservations for colleagues, friends, or other teachers. The week of August 18 – August 22, teachers may call between the hours of 8:00 a.m. to noon and 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. Beginning September 2, 2014, and continuing until full, teachers may call during BAM’s administrative hours.
- REVIEW YOUR CONFIRMATION: An email confirmation will be sent to you upon scheduling your tour. When you receive the confirmation, please carefully review the dates, times and policies.* A BAM representative will call you to confirm your visit two weeks prior to your tour.
- *BAM’s Chaperon Policy: Up to four adult chaperons, including the teacher, are included for free. Additional adults pay regular admission and are not considered part of the touring group. One adult per 15 students is required. A self-guided visit must include one chaperon per ten students. Chaperons are responsible for supervising students at all times.
- USE THE PRE-VISIT ART PACK:
A free Pre-Visit Art Pack will be emailed to you two weeks prior to your scheduled visit. Pre-Visit Art Packs include important information about the visit, color images of artworks related to the selected program, pre-visit activities, definitions, a bibliography and a suggested classroom art activity.
- LET US KNOW IF YOU NEED TO CANCEL:
BAM serves as many students as possible through our FREE School Programs. Because we have a limited number of visits available and an extensive waiting list, we do require at least two weeks notice for cancellation. Groups cancelling after that time will be charged the full visit fee. ($50 for School Tours/$60 for ArtReach Visits) Cancellation fees are charged to schools that miss their scheduled time.
- ASK QUESTIONS:
If you have questions about which program works best for your school, please call us at 345-8330, ext. 36. BAM’s Education Department will work with you to find the best program option for your class.